Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Historic Walking Tour of Boston... !

I recently joined nine of my MeetUp friends for an informal walking tour of the many sites and landmarks that highlight
 
 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
This tour was guided by Boston Historian and fellow MeetUp member, Walter, who has also led very popular tours of Trinity Church and Harvard Yard.                                       We stopped along the way and listened to Paul re-tell many interesting events and facts about individuals that played an important part in building Boston’s rich downtown and waterfront areas. 

Included in our walking tour was a brief stop in Boston Common, followed by a walk up Beacon Street to the State House.
 At many points of interest, Walter shared facts and dates that mark the spot along Boston’s freedom trail.
Stopping at King's Chapel and Burying Ground, and the site of the Boston Massacre were exceptionally interesting.



Along the way...
Old State House


 

 
 
  
Site of the Boston Massacre

Always
expect the unexpected
 
when in Boston.....
 * YES *
a
bike
marathon
*

*
Faneuil Hall
 
*******
We all took silent witness as we passed though
the
Holocaust Memorial
*******
 
 
 
 *~*~***********************************~*~*
 Although we didn't spend any time at the pushcart open
 
 
 market, it was a busy place, full of sights sounds and color!
 
 
 
 
the North End ~ The Old North Church ~ Copps Hill and the
USS Constitution.
*
 
Rounding the Connor... we came across another famous address, that of Paul Revere! 






.... noticed some nice real estate along the way....



















Up over the hill... across a bridge... into Charlestown  --- it was a long walk!












Charlestown Navy Yard...
*
Home of
The
USS Constitution
















 
 `~`~`~*******`~`~`~







 Restored Commander's home ...nice !



 About this time of day we all started to think ---> LUNCH ... and just so happened to stumble upon a local Charlestown pub !
 
 
we gathered at the historic Warren Tavern www.warrentavern.com a popular eating place and watering hole since 1780.
 
**************

Re-energized, after a hardy lunch,  I strolled around Charlestown for a short while.


....a grand entrance to this old time fashionable home.



















I came across Monument Road.... hmmmmm. 
 It was like a magnet, looking down at me, drawing me ever closer and closer.
I couldn't resist.....


I ventured up to Bunker Hill, was it a mistake? ----->





HELLO.... there was even a sign !
But did I read it..............
NO. 
It said "WARNING".
 
 
~~~~~~********~~~~~~
  
The door opened.......... something lured me in...........
 
I began the climb.... up...
up...
 
up !
(it's funny you have to scroll down to see me go up)

... not so bad ....yet
I continue to climb
getting tired of counting...

not funny.....


 UP ... up... up
almost there....

OMG.... where is 'there'....


happy feet !
*
then the view
 
 
~ WOW ~
 
 
 
 
After a short 'look out'
and time to catch my breath....
it's time now to go
.
.
.
.
down
remember that "warning" sign I didn't read,
I should have for SO many reasons.
I didn't
ouch !!!
************************************
So the drill goes like this---> down, down, down
294 times
DOWN
*
*
then the view...!
 
Back on earth .... it's time to go home -
BUT my legs just won't march on.
The shortest distance between two points is --->
a taxi
In this case just a short walk to
 *RELIEF*
.....and while waiting for my water taxi, what has my eye spotted !
 
relief  xs 2
******************
my taxi arrives and I'm headed home!
******************
I found my car !
******************
 
and here I sit in traffic.
*
*ParkStreetStation*BostonCommon*BostonPublicGarden**
BeaconStreet*StateHouse*ParkStreetChurch*
*Kings Chapel*GranaryBuryingGround*
*OldStateHouse*BostonMassacare*FreedomTrail*
*BikeRace*HolocaustMemorial*FaneuilMall*Haymarket*
*NorthEnd*PaulRevereHouse*CoppsHill*
*OldNorthChurch*Charlestown*USSConstitution*
*CharlestownNavyYard*WarrenTavern
**BunkerHill*294Steps*Harborwalk*
*TavernOnTheWater*Taxi*Traffic*
~ ALL IN ONE DAY ~
*
THE END
 


2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love love this blog! Michael O has a fan in me. This blog of his travels is informative, whimsical and quixotic made even more deliciously pleasurably due to Michael O's easy layed back vacation like quality approach to sharing his adventures. He is witty, funny and you manage to walk away feeling you were on the vacation adventure with him and you also walk away with new knowledge and might just be inspired enough to embark on you own adenture! Bravo!--Jacques Fleury Poet/Author/Columinst

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love love this blog! Michael O has a fan in me. This blog of his travels is informative, whimsical and quixotic made even more deliciously pleasurably due to Michael O's easy layed back vacation like quality approach to sharing his adventures. He is witty, funny and you manage to walk away feeling you were on the vacation adventure with him and you also walk away with new knowledge and might just be inspired enough to embark on you own adenture! Bravo!--Jacques Fleury Poet/Author/Columinst

    ReplyDelete